Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Marriage: The most difficult lesson of all.......

No one ever told me that marriage was definitely going to be one of the hardest jobs I'd ever hold in my life.....

Not that it changes anything--but over the years--I have found that this phase in life is rather difficult. How on earth do you prepare for such a "roller coaster" ride?

Definitely NOT by reading a fairytale, watching movies, and observing others....I'd have to say by "trial & error." Fairytales are just that...fantasies, movies--another proud product of the human imagination, and observing others--well that's just asking for trouble....LOL

Why this post? Well, I'm married of course.... (did ya really think I was anything but??)

For those that know my husband and I, we are often stared at, laughed at, and told we have an uncanny resemblance to a couple that's been married for a very, very, very long time. (I think the humor in that went way over my head a few times before I actually understood the meaning behind it..) Of course the stares aren't necessarily in a bad way, (other than the occasional eyebrow raising) the laughter is usually at the silliness that we display, and the love that we definitely share for each other above and beyond anything else.....

But yet, I still want to wring his neck.....DAILY! Is that normal? I think it is....I can't tell you how many nights he's pissed me off--we fight, we argue, he ignores me--and he's the one who goes to bed with what seems to be not a care in the world.....yet I'm left pacing the kitchen, aggrivated, ready to tear the walls down in the house, and sleeping on the edge of the mattress, while he's on his side of the bed just snoring his ass off... (you have no idea!)

*TIP: If you want to piss your spouse/significant other off, go to sleep on 'em....works every time! Make sure you do it in the heat of an argument or conversation though....It's a surefire way to put your ass in the "doggy-house!" (Now before you all go and get your undies in a knot, that's just my being facetious kicking in...)*

Okay, back to the lesson learned.....

The other day, while in transit to an outlet mall in our town, we started arguing about his dire need to speed...I hate pedal pushers by the way. The speed limit was 30 MPH in the area that we were in, and hubby over there in the driver's seat decided that 40 was more acceptable to him. Well, if you know me you know that I don't play that. I asked him to slow down and he didn't, so I told him to stop the truck and let me out. To my surprise he did...HA! Unbelievable. I was livid. He pulled off--I started walking. Would you believe that my "idiot-at-the-moment" husband left me there to walk all because I didn't get back in the truck when he turned around??? Sad, but true....



While on my little "exercise endeavor," (my walk home that is--we were only a couple of blocks away) I had a moment to myself. Being a thinker, all of the scenarios played out in my head, had I gotten the last word. But the path home was rather calming I admit. I tend to be a little on the hot-headed side at times, letting my temper get the better part of me. When I finally walked in the door, I had no desire to let him win, nor the energy to fight. So I just told him I didn't want to talk about it anymore, and we proceeded to our original destination. The ride was rather quiet, but in the end...I was at peace....with myself.



Under any other circumstances, I'd have opened a can of whoop-ass on him and that very well would have been the end of a perfectly good marriage. But, I learned a very valuable lesson that day.....No matter who's right or wrong, sometimes neither's opinion or stance is the solution. The hardest thing in the world for me to do is to bite my tongue when I have something to say. But yet, keeping quiet gave me a better result than I could have ever imagined. I regained a sense of peace that I didn't have before. Much less, the definition of "patience" is almost non-existent in my mental dictionary--I just don't have much of it to acknowledge it. 


In the end, I came to realize that "growing" continues throughout life no matter your age, and I must say....


I grew a little more the other day!












No comments: